Our ethos is that everything we do at the Beach House is environmentally sustainable, ethical, and sourced locally.
Find out some of the things we do to make sure we uphold this.
Ⓢ = Sustainable
Ⓛ = Local
Ⓔ = Ethical
Stocking the kitchen
Our welcome baskets aims to be as sustainable as possible and zero waste.
Wherever we can, we provide:
- Oil, salt and tomato ketchup in glass containers, refilled from large containers into manageable, hygienic portions Ⓢ
- Jams bought from local producers Ⓛ Ⓔ
- Milk in glass bottles, delivered by a local dairy (Grange Farm) Ⓢ Ⓛ
- Washing up liquid and laundry supplies refilled with EcoLeaf or BioD products at Grain & Sustain on Burntisland High Street Ⓢ Ⓛ Ⓔ
- Metal straws supplied for use with hot or cold drinks Ⓢ
- Reuable containers and washable wraps used for other food products Ⓢ
- Burntisland residents employed for cleaning, paid above the real Living Wage Ⓛ Ⓔ
- Ironing outsourced locally. We make sure it’s not returned wrapped in plastic. Ⓢ Ⓛ
- Upcycled glass jars in the bathrooms refilled with hand soap from Grain & Sustain on Burntisland High Street Ⓢ Ⓛ
- Toilet paper bought from Who Gives a Crap – plastic free packaging and profits donated to charity Ⓢ Ⓔ
- Room signs made from wood with pyrography markings. These can be composted when they reach the end of their life. Ⓢ
While we find that soft furnishings like mattresses and linens have to be new for hygiene reasons, we try and source all our other furniture, crockery etc second hand for stay in the reuse cycle. Ⓢ
We have recycling bins in the kitchen, and ask all our guests to separate their waste. Ⓢ
- We hire local workers to do maintenance work for us where we can. Ⓛ
- For DIY jobs, we buy everything we can from the hardware shop on the High Street (MA Hardware). Ⓛ
- We’re members of the Tool Library at The Ecology Centre, so we can borrow any tools we need instead of buying them to sit in a cupboard for most of their lives. Ⓢ Ⓛ
'Wherever we can’?
We’re not perfect. Sometimes, people have drunk a lot of milk and we run out too late to tell the dairy. Sometimes it’s a Sunday and we’re out of hand soap. So we can’t offer a 100% guarantee that everything is sourced as above, but we try our very hardest.
Keeping the property Covid safe is our first priority, and while we work very hard to do this in a sustainable way, we never compromise on health and safety.